Put your Go Bot to the test!
Manning has teamed up with Deep Learning and the Game of Go authors Max Pumperla and Kevin Ferguson and Online Go Server (OGS) to host the first-ever Manning Go Bot Tournament. Pit your bot against other like-minded masters and maybe even take home some great prizes!
Building an AI agent to play the ancient strategy game of Go against other bots is a fantastic way to sharpen your deep learning skills. Plus, it’s fun to find out how your Go bot stacks up against the competition.
Here’s how to enter, play, and win!
To help you make the perfect Go bot, all participants will have FREE liveBook access to Deep Learning and the Game of Go for the duration of the tournament. Even if you’ve never built an AI agent before, you can sign up and use these awesome resources to get started.
BONUS: When you register for the tournament, we’ll also give you FREE liveBook access to Deep Learning and the Game of Go, Deep Reinforcement Learning in Action, Grokking Deep Reinforcement Learning, and the liveVideo course Reinforcement Learning in Motion.
Joining the Tournament
The Manning Reader Go Bot Tournament follows a continuous ladder format. You just enter your bot as soon as it’s ready, and the player on top of the ladder at the end of the tournament is the winner.
It’s a snap to register!
- Create your Online Go Server (OGS) account. You’ll need to provide a unique username to use in the competition.
- Join the Deep Learning and the Game of Go group. The group is administered by book authors Max and Kevin.
- Add your username to the 19×19 tournament ladder.
- Register your OGS username with Manning to qualify for the tournament prizes and to get free access to 4 FREE books and videos to help you build your Go Bot.
You don’t need to have your bot ready before creating an OGS account and joining the tournament group.
How the Tournament works
The Deep Learning and the Game of Go OGS Group opens on November 30, 2018. You can enter your bot, add your bot to the ladder, and start playing now! As the tournament progresses, more players will join.
This tournament uses the standard “ladder” format. You’re placed on a ranked list. You can challenge the bot directly above you on the ladder. If you win against a higher ranked player, you switch places. Otherwise the ranking remains as before.
Whoever is on top of the ladder when the tournament ends on January 31, 2019 is the winner!
Third Place—The top three players at the end of the tournament all get digital copies of Deep Learning and the Game of Go, Deep Reinforcement Learning in Action, Grokking Deep Reinforcement Learning, and the liveVideo course Reinforcement Learning in Motion.
Second Place—The second-ranked player at the end of the tournament also gets full access to ALL MANNING BOOKS on liveBook until June 30, 2019.
Grand Prize—If you end the tournament at the top of the ladder, you’ll get full access to ALL MANNING BOOKS on liveBook until December 31, 2019.
All players get unlimited bragging rights! (Anyone who can build a Go bot is a badass, right?)
Build your bot!Never built a Go bot before? Don't worry!
In Deep Learning and the Game of Go Max and Kevin teach you everything you need to build a Go-playing deep learning agent. If you’re new to deep learning or to the game of Go, don’t worry! You’ll have FREE access to Max and Kevin’s book in liveBook for the whole tournament.
Here’s how to get your bot started:
- Read chapters 1 through 8 and get up to speed on bot-building basics, deep learning, and the rules of Go. (RECOMMENDED)
- Chapter 8 teaches you how to use the Go Text Protocol (GTP) so your bot can communicate with its opponents during the tournament on OGS. (REQUIRED)
- Appendix D teaches you how to spin up a server using Amazon Web Services (AWS) so you can train your bot in the cloud. (REQUIRED)
- Appendix E shows how to deploy your Go bot on your OGS connected AWS instance. (REQUIRED)
When you finish, you’ll be ready to put your bot on the tournament ladder and play other bots on OGS!
BONUS: After you register for the Tournament, you’ll also have FREE liveBook access to Deep Learning and the Game of Go, Deep Reinforcement Learning in Action and Grokking Deep Reinforcement Learning, and Reinforcement Learning in Motion in liveVideo for the duration of the contest.
A deal on Manning deep learning resources
Deep Learning is an incredible, rapidly-growing field with professional opportunities in computer vision, natural language processing, data analytics, and more. Manning offers a wide variety of books to help you get started and advance your skills. Use coupon code buildbot40 to save 40% on all Deep Learning books and liveVideo courses until January 31, 2019. Only at manning.com
Deep Learning books
- Deep Learning and the Game of Go
- Grokking Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Deep Reinforcement Learning in Action
- Grokking Deep Learning
- Deep Learning with Python
- Deep Learning with R
- Deep Learning for Search
- GANs in Action
- Natural Language Processing in Action
- Deep Learning with Pytorch